Friday, March 16, 2007

A Parent's Nightmare

My daughter, A., got really sick. I took her to the doctor yesterday, he informed me that a trip to the emergency room was necessary. They fast tracked us through the emergency room and we got in fairly quickly, our total time there was only about three and a half hours. A very short time to be in the emergency room, but it felt like an eternity.

The pain in her eyes and the sounds she made when they examined her, it was the most horrible thing I have ever had to see or hear. I tried to be strong and not let her see how much it upset me, but I couldn't help but cry. Watching that really brought home how important she is to me. Why is it that I can't seem to fully realize people's importance to me until there is a crisis?

A. is fine, if a little sore and very exhausted. I'm hoping she'll be completely herself tomorrow. She was able to give several full smiles without prompting last night before we left the emergency room. She did tell me that I was saying "I love you" too much. Not that that is really possible.

No comments: