Sunday, July 6, 2008

Baby blocks

For those of you that have been following my progress on the Christmas stocking, I am taking a sabbatical from that project. When I had my daughter, I decided to make stockings for all the babies in the family, just like my mom did for my sister and I. I feel that it is a great way to welcome a baby to the family, so many people don't ever have anything that was made especially for them. I made one for my nephew, but they didn't use it because it didn't match their theme and color scheme. I was slightly hurt by this, but such is life. Now my sister recently had a beautiful baby girl. I knew that they wouldn't use a stocking I had made, so I asked if they would prefer something else. At first we talked about a baby announcement, then I stumbled across directions for cloth baby blocks. My sister really liked the idea, and apparently my mom is going to get a special box and paint it to put the blocks in.

It will be a complete set, 26 letters. My niece will be able to spell her entire name and each block with have a picture to go a letter of the alphabet. It is surprisingly difficult to find pictures for some of the letters. I thought I would show the first block I finished stitching, though it's not in block form yet. Just in case you can't tell, that's a duck.

No comments: